Sunday, July 24, 2005

We are all Egyptians Today

Omar, over at Iraq the Model, has written a very interesting and well thought out article about the terrorists murders in Egypt yesterday. He lives in the region, and I believe his opinion is well worth reading.

Big Pharaoh has an article also, describing what it was is like to be in Egypt. Many Egyptians are now worried, I would imagine, that tourism will be hurt. I say to that, "NO! You cannot intimidate us. You may kill us. You may torture us. You may commit many sins against, but you will NEVER make us afraid. We are not you, cowards."

That is what I say, and I can back that up. After September 11, 2001, I went shopping. Why does that prove anything? I hadn't been out of the house in over 4 years. I am disabled. I did it in defiance of the cowards who attacked my country.

I wanted to help the economy. I am a patriot. That does not mean if you didn't go shopping you are not patriotic. If you are offended, I'd say too bad! You shouldn't get offended so easily! This is MY situation, alright?! Back to the subject...

I love my country. It is the most beautiful in the whole world to me. It is this way because of the people. There are so many different kinds of people, and we all get along.

If you come here and decide to become an American, you are an American. If you go to Switzerland or Germany or China or anywhere else, they can tell you are not part of them. That is one of the very special things about this country. Because we love God, all men are created equal.

This does not mean we are all born into rich families! Some people wouldn't know they were poor unless you told them. It means everyone has the same chance to become rich, poor, smart, lazy, dance, sing, teach, or whatever is your dream that is legal and attainable! You may achieve it here. That is another aspect I love this country.

As much as I love my country, Today (and yesterday, actually) WE ARE ALL Egyptians. Why is it when England gets bombed, we are all Britons, but no one seems to write about being all Iraqis or Saudis or Egyptians or Darfurs or Keynans or anything else when they get bombed?

Is it because they do not look like us? What do we look like, please tell me! We are not still that ignorant, are we? If we are, shame on us. They stood with us, mostly, on September 11, 2001. I intend to stand with them. Thank you.

Update: Big Pharaoh had a small protest against terrorism. It is a very good read. I can still feel his pride. It is what we were looking for after September 11, 2001, when we wanted to know what we could do. Check it out.