Thursday, July 21, 2005

Al-Qaida Nukes Already in U.S

I felt the need to post this here as well. I originally posted it at Michael Fitch.

MajorDad1984 posed the question on Homespun Blogger Symposium XXIX:
Hmmmm....this might be something of a follow-up to last week's question, but one I think we need to answer...go here and read the article, but believe what you read to formulate the answer. (I do not vouch for the author...and his sources. I'm interested in the discussion and thought that goes into your responses.

Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S.

Given that this information is true...remember, I'm not saying that it is, but for the purpose of this intellectual exercise, give it your best shot to imagine that it is.

What do we do about this potential threat not only to the United States, but to the global economy and the history of mankind?
I have barely been able to allow myself to think about this. It's a terrifying prospect. The article says:
According to captured al-Qaida leaders and documents, the plan is called the "American Hiroshima" and involves the multiple detonation of nuclear weapons already smuggled into the U.S. over the Mexican border with the help of the MS-13 street gang and other organized crime groups.
We've been saying, for how long, that we need to secure the borders? I was watching a subcommittee hearing on C-Span last week, or 2 weeks ago, about border patrol, and the head of border patrol was asked how long it would take the get 1500 new agents out in the field. The short answer is, approximately 18 months. That's a year and a half! Rep. Marion Berry (D-ARK) said something like, (Remembering to the best of my abilities)
"I feel like we're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic here. Talking about how much bedspace there is and all that. I'm afraid that something terrible is going to happen that we just (pause) aren't going to know how to handle when it happens."
I tried to find a transcript of the meeting, but only video was available, and I'm not about to watch the whole thing to get the exact quote, but it's accurate enough to what he really did say. He then passed on to the next committee member without asking any questions. I thought, "Yeah! SOMEBODY gets it!" But this was before this article came to my attention. Now I am wondering if he may have been referring to just this information.

I don't really know what to do beyond imploring our representatives to stop politicking and actually do something to fix the problem. Obviously we need to catch the terrorists that have these weapons, and the weapons themselves, but I don't know how. Hopefully our members of the intelligence community can succeed in doing so.

The only other thing I can think of is, PRAY. Don't believe in God. Pray anyway. I don't have much of a solution to this problem aside from that. Sorry MajorDad. But all I can say is that we have to pray it doesn't happen. I don't have any other non-obvious answers.