Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Iranian journalist sentenced for 90 days

This really burns me. We sit around here and gripe because everything is not done in a snap, while our brothers and sisters are being sentenced to prison for speaking truth, or at all. Are we doing anything? Are we doing enough? Can we do more? Let me show you the story written by A Daily Briefing on Iran.
Iran Focus:
A court in Iran's holy city of Qom has sentenced a journalist to 91 days in prison for having insulted both the President and the head of the State Expediency Council, a state-run news agency reported.

Farid Modarressi was found guilty of “writing insulting material” against incumbent President Mohammad Khatami and SEC chief Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani.

Modarressi is set to be tried separately on Friday for writing “illegal material” in a weblog.

Earlier this month, another weblogger in Qom was sentenced to two years in prison for "insulting the supreme leader" Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.Mojtaba Saminejad also faced several other charges which he is currently on trial for.Mojtaba Saminejad also faced several other charges which he is currently on trial for.
I am so angry, I could spit. No I couldn't, but I can't think of anything I would put in print.

I wonder if people in the west understand that these "rights" that we have are not just dropped down and presto! There they are! They have to be defended with everything we have. If we do not defend those who have no voice, who will defend us when our voice falls of deaf ears?